Error on Download?
Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:43 AM
Posted by Robert Holian
Remember, if you have any further problems or comments, feel free to use the Contact Me page - I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Most problems can be sorted out quite easily.
I get an error message when I try to download. What can I do?
I'll be honest, I'm still trying to work out exactly why this happens sometimes. Usually I can sort the error messages into two categories. This is what the first one looks like:
Firefox could not install the file at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file....(etc.)
because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)
-261
This error message may be caused when you have Firefox set not to allow third-party cookies. To prevent this error, you need to temporarily enable third-party cookies.
This error message may be caused when the Firefox cache is disabled. To re-enable the Firefox cache:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file....(etc.)
because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)
-261
This error message may be caused when you have Firefox set not to allow third-party cookies. To prevent this error, you need to temporarily enable third-party cookies.
- At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, in the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....
- If you couldn't find the menu bar in step 1, it's probably because you've got it hidden. No matter. Click the Firefox button in the top left corner of the window, then select Options...
- Select the Privacy panel.
- Check mark Accept third-party cookies.
Firefox could not install the file at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file....(etc.)
because: Download Error
-228
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file....(etc.)
because: Download Error
-228
This error message may be caused when the Firefox cache is disabled. To re-enable the Firefox cache:
- At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....
- Again, if you couldn't find the menu bar in step 1, it's probably because you've got it hidden. Click the Firefox button in the top left corner of the window, then select Options...
- Select the Advanced icon.
- Click on the Network tab.
- In the Cache section, the size of the cache must be at least 1 MB. More than that is fine too, but only if you want Firefox to use that amount of space on your hard drive.
This entry was posted on 10:43 AM, and is filed under
Errors,
User Support
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
August 4, 2009 at 7:16 AM
Hi, I've just downloaded the new version of Firefox 3.5.1. Could you please upgrade the Avant Garde Rosepetal to be compatible with the new Firefox? I really like your design a lot!
Thanks!
August 4, 2009 at 8:34 PM
@Liying
I think I need to clear up a bit of confusion. You see, the theme that is currently called AvantGarde Rosepetal is a new name for the old versions of my themes (which aren't compatible with Firefox 3.5). It used to be called avant.garde.10011 :rosa:.
AvantGarde Rosepetal IS compatible with Firefox 3.5. But unfortunately, the version currently in the public domain on the Mozilla Add-ons site is not Rosepetal at all - it is the older style theme. Because my new, Firefox 3.5 compatible themes are still in the process of being reviewed by Mozilla Add-ons, I purposely put a message informing people of this situation, and directing them to where they can download the latest, unapproved version. You may have accidentally not seen this, that's fine, I just wanted to clear up the confusion.
Anyway, these are the places you can download the theme:
URL for AvantGarde Rosepetal Version 3.0.26
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/8239#version-3.0.26
All you have to do is hit "Add to Firefox". It will say "Experimental" just below the button, but I can assure you, these new themes are completely free of adware, viruses and all the other nasty things we don't like in our computers. This has been verified by Softpedia Labs.
Hope that clears everything up. Have a nice day!
Rob
August 6, 2009 at 7:47 AM
I am using a brand new Mac 10.5.7 - Firefox 30.0.13- I downloaded Rosepetal...but it does not really resemble the preview you show. Please advise. TY.
August 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM
@Anonymous
If you downloaded the public download on the Mozilla add-ons page for AvantGarde Rosepetal, then you didn't download Rosepetal at all. You downloaded its predecessor avant.garde.10011 :rosa: - which would account for the difference in appearance.
There were instructions on the Mozilla add-ons site that indicated how to download the new AvantGarde Rosepetal, which is still pending review from Mozilla Add-ons. I guess you just missed that :-)
I can only ask you to please download the REAL Rosepetal version 3.0.26 from the URL below:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/8239#version-3.0.26
I hope that clears everything up for you, and I hope that your brand new Mac shines with the colour of an AvantGarde theme!
Best wishes,
Rob