AvantGarde 5.3 - Firefox 8 and Beyond
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:52 AM
Posted by Robert Holian
I admit that when Firefox 8 was released, I was so busy in my personal life that I didn't even bother to check whether AvantGarde 5.2 was compatible with it. It had been compatible with Firefox 4, 5, 6 and 7, so why wouldn't it be compatible now? Well how wrong I was. A big thank you to all the users who sent me screenshots of Firefox 8 not working with AvantGarde 5.2 - something must have changed so dramatically in Mozilla's source code, because now AvantGarde wasn't even useable!
But don't despair, folks, AvantGarde 5.3, with fixes that enable compatibility with Firefox 8 and above, is now available for download. If you have AvantGarde 5.2, you will soon receive a notification for an automatic update. If not... well, what are you waiting for? You're missing out! Download from Mozilla Add-ons or from the "downloads" page of this blog today!
After all, there are plenty of reasons to use AvantGarde. One of which I'm promoting heavily at the moment is speed. Every add-on you install and enable in Firefox slows the program down somewhat. It's an extra part of the program it needs to initiate every time you open up Firefox. Themes are no different - if you install a theme, you're getting sleek style but at a cost. In fact, this is one of the reasons why Mozilla introduced Personas; if you're browser's "theme" was merely one picture, that would barely slow down Firefox as a program at all. This makes sense, but you're still left with ugly grey buttons.
But AvantGarde let's you have your cake and eat it too. At just 205 kilobytes in size, AvantGarde is about 5 times smaller than most popular themes, and more than 10 times smaller than some. That's up to ten times less data your computer would need to load every time you open up Firefox. It makes a significant difference, and while I'm not saying that using AvantGarde is faster than using the default Firefox theme on its own, this does minimise the impact so that it becomes virtually unnoticeable. Even if you installed a Persona on top of AvantGarde, the impact on startup speed is minimal - a feat not possible with most other themes. Incidentally, AvantGarde 5.3 is another 13% smaller than AvantGarde 5.2 - despite the additions of new compatibility. So, have the buttons you want, and the background of your choosing. What's not to like?
Experience the difference for yourself. I know you'll love it.


November 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!! I REALLY missed it!! It works great :):)
January 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Hi,
Download from Mediafire does not work.
Please fix it.
Greets
June 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Salut!!
Avant garde est un thème que je trouve parfait et il se combine bien avec Personas.
J'ai utilisé une version test de Mozilla Firefox (version 13)et Avant garde fonctionnait toujours jusqu'à ce que la version test du navigateur fasse sa mise à jour (version 14).
Je constate que le thème Avant garde n'est plus compatible.
Allez vous produire une mise à jour du thème Avant garde prochainement?
Merci
July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I use avantgarde and it is my opinion the best but unfortunately since version 14 of Firefox it does not work anymore.
Is there going to be a upadate?
I hope it is so great!
July 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Would also like to know if there will be a compatibility update
for Firefox 14. Thanks.
July 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
For Firefox 14 please
August 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Hoping for an update soon...
August 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Looks like I am not alone in requesting an update for Firefox 14. Any change you could please update us on development status? Thanks very much for your work on this - truly fab theme!
August 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
And now is firefox 15.0
But it seems that development is abandoned, sad!
August 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Great theme, but it appears to be all done. What a shame.
September 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM
The sad part is, it actually DOES work with Firefox 15.0.1 - you just need to change the maxversion to * (an asterisk).
November 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I created a "compatibility mod" for this extension:
http://www.mediafire.com/?khh1tml9ohvvn5p
To install, download the XPI file to anywhere, and then drag the XPI file into an open Firefox window.